These are some of the things I like to do to unwind after a long day, whether you had an amazing productive day, a stressful day or a wonderful day the importance of rejuvenating and preparing for the day to follow is something that I have found incredibly helpful in improving my all around productivity.
- Go for a walk: I love to go for a walk if the weather permits, it allows you to regroup your thoughts, breath fresh air and relax. Some of my best thinking happens while in nature and if it was possible I would spend the majority of my time outside.
- Have a cup of tea: Have a calming cup of tea, one that isn’t chalked full of caffeine, this is one of my favourites, with the cordyceps it helps your breathing to deepen, relieves common symptoms of anxiety, I often have a cup of this while sitting on the patio and take a few quiet moments to myself.
- Tidy: Clean up any messes from the day, I find that I can’t fall asleep as easy if I think about waking up in the middle of the night and tripping over what ever I left out. I find it therapeutic to clean, but that one may be me specific.
- Yoga: Even 5 minutes of yoga is going to be helpful, take as much time as you can to bring your thoughts back to your mat, there are many online classes you could take, or do what feels right, figure out what your body needs and lean into it.
- Take a Shower: This one may seem common sense, however I know for me sometimes I just want to go to bed after a long day. I often find the times that I have taken the extra 5 minutes to rinse off, at the least, is an an amazing way to jump into bed fresh and clean mentally and physically.
- Find a book that is a daily read or daily entry style: Some good ones are the 5 year journals, small mindfulness practice books, wreck this journal, that sort of thing. I like to do these before I go to bed, it helps me to reflect from the day and bring my mind back to the right place before sleep.
- Listen to a podcast or something that makes you laugh: This is often something I do while cooking, hear some good nuggets on positivity and perspective. I also find that laughter is an essential nutrient so find what it is that makes you laugh and indulge a little.
Those are just a few, stay tuned for a list of my favourite podcasts, and some other ways I stay sane.
Thank you for reading!